Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 23, 2006

learning curve



Theoretically, I'm using this blog to become more computer literate. But I can't seem to get rid of any of the duplicate pictures from the Ivo at the park posting.

I'm working on posting videos.

Ryan's parents are coming on Thursday!
It's my first day of school vacation and my first day of the SUNY online semester.

I got the car inspected this morning. It resulted in my having to take the car to have the headlights replaced. But it went super smoothly - all things considered. The inspection site is out in Da Du in Taichung County, right on the coast. 15 minutes or so from the main drag, Chung Gang Road... It reminded me how hideously ugly industrial small town Taiwan is... locals call it "the countryside" - This can only be country as opposed to major metropolis. A linguistic quirk. Da Du makes Chung Hua look beautiful... Main Street is packed with giant buses, too many cars, scooters, motorcycles- all spewing black stink - which makes me wonder what the parameters of this vehicle inspection are... oversized tricycles, bicycles, people, people, people - tiny breakfast shops and assorted other vendors of cheap things. So compressed - no sidewalks, no parking areas - lots of unattractive people walking around wearing pajamas. So different from the city slickers I live among - who make me look the slob!

I'm wondering how the preference for re nao (hot noisy - crowded) coexists so happily with buddhism...

Ivo and I went to Starbucks afterwards - a haven that, unless I lived in Asia, I would totally boycott. That's how flexible my values are.

Yay!

2 comments:

Michael Turton said...

I'm wondering how the preference for re nao (hot noisy - crowded) coexists so happily with buddhism...

Are the Taiwanese "Buddhist"? Theirs is a syncretic religion, a riot of gods, much like their social lives.

Michael

honeybees said...

you're right!