Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

teflon and tuna

Leonie and Cuy were down this weekend - very fun - a couple pics - I think tho none are loaded on the computer yet.

Like me, Leonie is a lapsed vegetarian/vegan. She hadn't eaten meat for 15 years or so until her pregnancy. I didn't eat it until Ivo was 41/2 months old. Both of us ate chicken 1st. Leonie craved it - I was just hungry. But with all that (possibly o-c stuff) in common and one year olds in Taiwan - we naturally got to talking about food. Much of the time - we can't know what kind of fish it is...

Fish-eating vegetarians eat a lot of tuna - so years ago, when my mom told me tuna was mercury-laden, I cried for months. Once I was pregnant, I researched and found so much contradictory info. Even in pregnancy mags and on websites - there was so much qualification - frequency schedules and kinds of fish , it was tempting to just disregard. I ate tuna once a month and then stopped. When I went back to work, still nursing, I started eating tuna around 2x/month. I stopped a couple months ago - b/c I could - and I was scared. So I was asking Leonie and she said they eat tuna maybe 1x/month. I told her I'd heard that just expensive tuna is polluted/dangerous and the tuna-for-the -masses/cheapy chicken-of-the-sea is ok. She said albacore is worse but all of it is bad.

We talked about salmon and fish n chips - farmed and wild - it's all effed up. I'm gonna do new/more research - but I'm pretty sure tuna's out forever - maybe a once/year thing... salmon I've gotta check on - and what all is the fish in its eponymous dish with chips??? Leonie says in Oz it's shark

Here's the dirt - and I do mean dirt - on teflon... DuPont chemical has gotten in trouble for hiding that they knew that carcinogens could transfer to food... Her are 2 sites to check out. An AP story sited on truthdig.org from 16 Feb 2006 called, Board: Teflon Chemical a Likely Carcinogen. The other is from Alternet, Making the Teflon Ban Stick - from 11 Feb 2006.

So - not really surprisingly - man-made chemicals are bad for you - very bad. Use some olive oil - demand antibiotic-free butter.

No comments: