Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 23, 2007

Ivo: No! I know you no yike dat!



When Ivo's comfortable - he happily chats with any/everyone. Because of all his alter-egos, not to mention language, no one really knows what Ivo's talking about, but he tries, seemingly compelled to correct adults who mis-address him.

First, he usually has to tell people he's a boy, not a girl, NOT a mei-mei. Then he gets into names. So far, he seems oblivious that a large amount of what he says is incomprehensible to the uninitiated. People nod and smile. Ivo too. It's funny, though, cuz Ivo immediately can tell when people he knows don't follow. If I don't understand "fider" he will give me more information, "bwack fider" = black spider. Of course. In the video from WHEELS BROKEN post, Ivo tells me "2 astronauts going to da space." I was so charmed by his inclusion of Burl in his play, that I mis-heard and thought he said "...going to da base" which made sense and further impressed me that he knows about bases in space. But then he clarified cuz I hadn't repeated back to him what he had said, he told me "going a moon." So I realized he'd said "space" not base.

A couple nights ago, Ryan carried Ivo up and away from me, Burl and the tv with a baseball game on. Among Ivo's last ditch pleas to stay downstairs was that he wanted to watch cartoons. Ryan and I told him I was gonna just continue to watch the baseball game. Fat chance - and Ivo knew it, protesting, "No, no! I know you no like dat!"

With kids, Ivo tends to get down to nitty-gritty, dispensing with titles and names altogether. In this video, Ivo tells the girl, "This my side. I like blue. You no like blue. You like..." Burl has the hiccoughs.

No comments: