Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Friday, August 31, 2007

Pics from Taipei 101

















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Still the tallest building in the world - just a couple hours from home.





These pics are the last of the lot I meant to post from our Taipei trip Mon-Tues. Things I forgot to remember here:

  • Ivo was sooooo happy in the hotel room, he ran/bounced around the room eventually head-crashing into a heavy wood sofa - he has a yellowish lump on his forehead
  • Ivo saw a poor soul begging outside the Shi Lin Market; he was prostrating himself, repeatedly hitting his head on the ground, jangling a bowl scant with coins (a common mannerism among Asia's physically handicapped destitutes). Ivo gasped and asked What dat? Ryan told him that the man is asking for money. After a pause, a disturbed Ivo said, He no have fingers... Aiy Aiy. Ryan said he'll never forget that interaction. It's so hard. I barely know how to handle the destitute-homeless-physically handicapped; I gave plentifully (food, money) my first year in NYC, 1987-88. And certainly, handling or how to conduct oneself while passing by desperate people who are clearly not faking, is only one piece of the puzzle. I have trouble reconciling being a have co-existing with so many have-nots. And one of the least satisfactory things adults ever handed me was the "life's not fair" cliche. Talk about "life's not fair." What should we teach Ivo and Burl about the awful roll-of-the-dice capriciousness of luck in life and HOW do we do it? I don't want them to be crippled by compassion nor do I want them to become Calvinist-trickle-down monsters.

No comments: