Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend Update








Today we celebrated Thanksgiving – YAY!!! Superfun and super-yummy!!!

We are THANK-FULL. Ivo is thankful for his toys. Ryan and I are thankful to be HERE with Gail and Doug in Canada. We are thankful for never being hungry, never being thirsty and never being (really) cold. We are thankful to have Ivo and Burl. And on and on.

And like Ivo said when he was telling me what he learned about thanksgiving at school, “We say thank you and thanks …to somebody… I don’t know their name.” We are grateful.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's deer and moose mating season, and maybe that’s why you have to "be careful" when you’re driving. I am constantly advised to be careful - careful not to hit a moose, a moose that might leap lightning-fast from out of nowhere onto the hiway in front of you. Yet, all this advice comes with no real instruction. It’s tricky. Exactly how am I to be careful? When we drove back from the party in Fredericton at midnight or 1am last week, I went 90km on the unlit, low-visibility stretches of hiway and I flashed the headlights every now and then just to give all the ruminants an extra heads-up – cuz, surely, they don’t wanna tangle with me anymore than I do with them.

While we were driving Ryan and I thought there should be some kind of sonic boom pulse-maker people who have to drive through the wilderness could put on their vehicles. We thought we had a(nother) million $ idea but the next day we found out that for 5$, you can get a set of whistles that affix to your car and are supposed to do what our sonic-boom-pulse-emitter was meant to do.

Anyway, it was a relief to find out that something already existed and Gail suggested checking at Canadian Tire. I asked a clerk and a guy in line behind me said, "O - you don't want them." Why? "Cuz they startle the deer and make them run at ya." Ooh, hmm. I found his opinion compelling but not convincing - I mean, it’s still a sound and why would they want to run toward it? The main flaw I forecasted was that the whole thing was a scam- since this sound is at a register I will never hear, there's a chance I'm just sticking plastic Xanax on the hood.

I still wanted to see them. The woman who was loud-speakered over to help me had no idea what the man had said (and frankly, he seemed insulted that I was still interested, but, come on). I told her that I was new to the area and asked her what she thought of these things. She said, and I am not joking or exaggerating, "Oh, they work. My father has used them for years and has never seen a deer or moose on the road." Well, that's great, I said and thought. She went on, "My mother never used them and she hit a moose and was killed." Whaa!?!?!? Yikes - and she wasn't putting me on - they only cost 5$ - it's not a commission item... I bought 2 sets.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





















Good news if you’re craving words from Ivo and Burl. I’ve recently received emails from my mom and my sister extolling Ivo’s genius based on different things, but I do not think the following will disappoint:)

Ivo Overheard:
  • “Everything grows except hard things don’t grow.” Upon questioning Ivo identified "hard things" as stuff like cars, tables, toys... (!)

  • “All babies grow up to be mans.” Half-right:)

  • “I need my practacy.” (a portmanteau of practice and privacy) He says this while sitting on the toilet when he wants me to “close the door, Burly don’t come in.”

  • “Farties” for the Canadian candy “Smarties”

  • A British kid on teletubbies (Burl’s favorite show – Ivo prefers “big-kid shows”) said “I like chameleons.” Ivo repeated, “I like Canadians.”

  • “Spider in da hole!!!”

  • “I’m thankful for my toys.”

Burly BabelOn:

  • eggs, hat, hand, geese, nunu, fish

  • “ooo-ooo”= “choo choo”= train

No comments: